Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sausage and Kale Soup





It was our turn to bring soup to Sunday evening church; we play in a praise band there and we have a dinner between rehearsal and the service. Here's what I did...
I started by slicing the kielbasa, and simmering it in some water in order to get some of the fat cooked out. Then, I put it on a baking sheet and placed it in the oven to brown. Then I prepared the kale, removing the tough stem/rib, then rolling up the leaves and slicing/chopping it. I washed it and then put it in a salad spinner. I brought the ingredients with me to church and assembled it there. Basically, just threw everything in the pot: cooked sausage, chopped kale, 4 cans of white beans, 3 packages of chicken stock (only pictured 2, I know), a can of cream of celery soup, and water to cover. Seasonings included pepper, rosemary, oregano, dried onion flakes. I brought it to a boil, then simmered it until the kale was tender, about 40 minutes. Served with shaved Parmesan. There were quite a few folks that had never eaten kale before, and they loved the soup. One could vary the amounts, depending on taste. If you want it creamier, then use more cream of celery soup.

2 comments: