Saturday, November 10, 2012

Fried Chicken

Wanting to do something with the gravy leftover from breakfast, I thought fried chicken would be great!
I picked up an inexpensive chicken, under $4.
Then, I put together a marinade: milk, apple cider vinegar, paprika, thyme, garlic powder, bay leaf, ancho chili powder, pepper. I cut up the chicken, reserving the back and other trimmings for a stock. The chicken pieces marinated in the milk mixture for several hours.
After draining the chicken, I dredged it in seasoned flour, using some of the same seasonings used in the marinade.
After dredging the chicken, I put them in a deep cast iron chicken fryer. It's similar to a regular cast iron pan, but deeper.
I forgot to look at the clock, but I set aside about an hour for the process. I put the pieces on a rack on top of rimmed baking sheet and put the chicken in the oven to stay warm while I finished off the rest of the meal.

2 comments:

  1. I'm Southern in my raising (hard to believe Grandma & Grampa were from Iowa and sounded like they'd just come from Georgia)...oh my, so where are the biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahaha! I totally forgot to put out the biscuits! I guess we'll have them for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete