Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew

This is so easy! I got a package of stew meat (beef), seasoned it with pepper, paprika, and salt, browned it in a cast iron pan with a bit of vegetable oil. I did it in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan. Overcrowding the pan will result in steaming, and you won't get that nice brown color. I did it in two batches. Put it in the slow cooker as you brown each batch. Then I added a bit more oil to the pan and slowly caramelized some chopped onion, threw that into the cooker. I used one small packet of reduced beef stock (Knorr's), and threw in a bay leaf. I peeled and cut up some russet potatoes and carrots. It cooked on high for a couple of hours, then turned it on low for the remaining couple of hours. I started this around noon, so that's why I started it on high. If doing it in the morning, cook it on low. Ah-mazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment