Thursday, June 21, 2012

Wild Brown Rice Salad


This dinner idea originated with the grilled chicken from the night before. I used a rice cooker for the brown jasmine. I toasted the rice to start with, then cooked it with water, olive oil, and a garlic clove in the rice cooker.



I cooked the wild rice, using 3 changes of water. I brought it to a boil, simmered a bit, drained, rinsed, added water, brought to a simmer. I did this two more times.

I prepped vegetables while the rice was cooking; diced celery, red pepper, carrots, onion, and parsley.



I took the meat off the bone, reserving the bones and skin to toss into the slow cooker along with aromatic vegetables for a broth. Then, I diced the chicken and added it to the diced vegetables.



The dressing was a combination of salad dressing, (store brand Miracle Whip), olive oil, and cider vinegar. To that was added a bit of sugar, black pepper, and a bit of Italian seasoning. I used my immersion blender. It made about one cup.

It was served with crushed almonds and dried cranberries (pomegranate flavored), and Yes, THOSE cheddar biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment