Saturday, November 10, 2012

Today's Breakfast: Biscuits & Gravy

These are easy to make. I used a half pound of breakfast sausage, adding a little bit of vegetable oil to the pan when browning the sausage.
I use bay leaves, sage, thyme, and ancho chili powder to season, along with lots of black pepper and salt to taste.
Add about a half cup of flour to the browned sausage, let it coat the sausage and cook for just a little bit.
Oh yes, I did. One can use just milk, or evaporated milk, or chicken stock. I used half-n-half, and some milk.
Add the seasonings, let it simmer.
Now, for the biscuits. I simply use the recipe on the back of the baking powder can with a few adaptations: 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat), 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder, about a half tsp. salt, 1 stick butter (it calls for 1/3 cup shortening), 3/4 cup milk (I used the rest of the half-n-half, and some milk, and used more, almost a cup).
Washing the grater is so much easier than washing a food processor. This works every time. Simply grate cold butter into the flour, then toss to coat.
Add the milk, stir briefly. I use an ice cream scoop to form the biscuits. Again, avoiding the mess of rolling the biscuits out on the counter. I tend to get flour everywhere.
Bake in a hot oven, 425F, for about 15 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment