Monday, December 29, 2008

Chipotle Cheesecake

I made chipotle cheesecake as a part of my Garde Manger I final last semester. I've made a few changes, mostly in the way I will plate it. I mostly read different recipes for cheesecakes, then put this together. It is a savory cheesecake, with two batters marbled together: plain, batter to which I added a pureed, strained can of chipotles in adobo sauce. The crust is leftover cornbread, you know, the little blue box. I made that a few days ago, cubed the leftover, then let it dry out. I mixed that crumb with butter, cumin, chili powder, and pepper; I used a zipper-seal bag to crumble and mix. This is different; before I've done just cornmeal and butter together, with whole cumin seeds and ground pepitas. It will be served with good tortilla chips, possibly a blue corn type, and three condiments: mango/jalapeno compote, cilantro vinaigrette, and chipotle oil. I thought the smokiness of the cheesecake would contrast nicely with the tang, sweet, and spice of the compote, with the clean "green" flavor of the cilantro. After pressing the chipotle through a sieve, I scraped what was left and put it in a jar, filled to the top with canola oil; it will sit in that in the fridge for a couple of days. I'll strain it before use; it might make a nice "sauce" for the plate.
We'll see.


I'm bringing it to a New Year's Eve party we've been invited to at a friend's home.

Stay tuned, of course I'll have pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment