Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shells Stuffed with Ricotta

I had some ricotta to use, made the other day from leftover dairy in the fridge. So I made stuffed shells. In a bowl, I mixed the ricotta, an egg, shredded parmesan/romano/asiago cheese, and seasoned it with fresh ground pepper, Italian seasoning, fresh oregano, and nutmeg.
I made the filling earlier in the day, then when ready, cooked the jumbo shells, cooled them in water, then filled them with the cheese mixture. They were placed in a simple sauce: large can crushed tomatoes, small jar roasted red pepper, blended together; sliced garlic, Italian seasoning.
Over the top, I sprinkled an Italian blend shredded cheese and seasoned panko bread crumbs (parmesan, pepper, It. seasoning). Start out with it covered, then take the cover off during the last part of baking so the crust gets golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment