Saturday, August 16, 2014

Smoked Turkey Sandwich

The perfect sandwich needs perfect bread, so, first things first.
I have a selection of leftover beer in the fridge, some of which I probably won't drink. I grabbed a can, poured it into a bowl, and zapped it in the microwave to take the chill off.
In a glass measuring cup, I proofed the yeast with a little bit of beer and warm water, pinch of flour and sugar.
When things got bubbly, I put the beer and proofed yeast mixture into the bowl of my KA. Using the paddle, I added some flour, a bit of salt, and leftover bacon grease. As I added flour towards the end, I threw in some shredded cheese, a blend of Asiago, Romano, and Parmesan. It was a wet dough, didn't add too much flour, still a bit sticky. I put it into an oiled bowl, covered with plastic wrap, left it on the counter for a couple of hours.
I turned it out onto a floured surface.
I love using that rolling pin, it is a family heirloom.
Cut the dough into rectangles.
Place on a prepared baking sheet. One can use parchment paper, or simple grease and scatter cornmeal. The cornmeal acts as tiny ball bearings, allowing the bread to slide off the pan easily when done baking. After letting the dough rest a bit, a small rise, put into a hot oven, 450-475F, for about 15-20 minutes.
To assemble the sandwich: slice the bread, toast it lightly. On the bottom piece, layer sliced avocado, sliced smoked turkey, a smear of pesto, sliced tomato, onion, Swiss cheese. On the top half, a slice of Swiss and some bacon slices. They were already cooked, leftover from breakfast. Broil open faced until cheese melts and bacon is warmed. Put the top on, spear with toothpicks (helps hold it together), cut in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment