Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Preserving Farmer's Market Goodness




I made a relish today, never having done it before. I've made pickles, but never relish. I had some cucumbers, carrots, and onions from farmer's market that I needed to use up, so ground them up (using a processor), salted it, and let it sit for a couple of hours. The mixture is then put in a colander and strained. In another pot, I brought to a boil: apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, mustard powder (didn't have seeds on hand), ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and curry powder. From what I've tasted, it's pretty good!
I bought a dozen ears of corn as well, so thought I'd better get them in the freezer. I blanched the cobs in salted water, then cut the kernels off the cob, scraping the cob after I cut the kernels off. I just put those in freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment