Saturday, December 18, 2010

Beef Bourguignon






My son's band played a gig last night and he brought home 4 bottles of wine, two of them were opened. So.....
I rough chopped the onion, carrot, and garlic; sauteed it in bacon fat with cubed beef. I added a blob of tomato paste and deglazed with beef stock and then poured in a lot of red wine (cabernet sauvignon). It cooked in the oven for several hours.
While that was cooking, I made pasta dough in the food processor. I used 3 cups of flour, tsp. of salt, 5 eggs, and a blob of butter. I kneaded it slightly, then let it rest. I rolled it out by hand, didn't want to bother with the machine. Yep, it was kinda thick.
I sauteed mushrooms in butter, added salt and pepper, and thyme. I deglazed the pan with madeira. My husband doesn't like mushrooms, so served them on the side. I didn't use the tiny onions that are traditionally used in this dish. Oh well.
Dropped the pasta into boiling water, when done, I drained them and tossed them in butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment