Monday, October 11, 2010

Buttery Sourdough Biscuits






After several attempts, reading about and looking at different methods on the internet, I finally came up with these. I tweaked some recipes, changing some of the ingredietns (full fat, Greek yogurt, and the half-n-half); I used a method that incorporated butter into the dry ingredients, as a piecrust, then added the wet ingredients. On the third batch, I forgot to add the butter to the flour, so I grated a stick of cold butter into the stuff, stirred it in along with the wet ingredients, into the dry. I also used a small cutter on that batch. I liked it much better!

2 cups unbleached white flour (I used Wheat Montana, white)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 cup well fed sourdough starter
¼ cup Greek plain yogurt
¼ cup half-n-half cream

1/2 cup cold butter (I used salted)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, mix together yogurt and cream. Mix with a whisk or fork until smooth. Mix the sourdough starter into the yogurt mixture. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture. Grate in 1 stick (1/2 c.) of cold butter. Mix the dough until just combined.
Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. It will be sticky. Try not to overwork the dough. Pat it into a rectangular shape, folding the dough over on itself several times. Pat or roll the dough into a 1“ thick round. Cut biscuits and place on a buttered baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or so until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment